Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's the End of the World as We Know It

I sit here and read post after post of nostalgic 2012 reflections. Here’s the thing…

When I think of 2012...all that comes to mind is that it was supposed to end. We were supposed to go out in a blaze of glory. Yet, here we are making resolutions (and by making resolutions I mostly mean wishing ourselves growth, prosperity, and better times) in 2013.

I’m a little bit upset. I’ve put 20+ years of good, hard work into this world just to lose my retirement package at the finish line!? You see… I may have put all my eggs in a Mayan basket. A basket the hokey, mocking Mayans are now enjoying like an Easter goldmine. Their practical little end-of-the-world joke has essentially stolen my retirement fund the same way college education stole my pre-retirement fund and my virginity! (I’m kidding about one of those two things)

When asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I shrugged my shoulders. When given an occupational placement test in middle school, I chose answers willy-nilly. When told to choose a college major I picked LIFE. None of it mattered because I only needed to make it to 2012. 2012 was the goal. I knew whatever I did--pig farming, NFL, hired companion--I could at least get by that long. And after that, it didn’t matter.
Now, I actually have to look into careers and retirement, being an adult and building a life for myself, planning for the future…

It’s all very unappealing.

Speaking of appealing--now that I’m on the career path--what do you think the attendance rate to see Niko’s Spellbinding Shimmer Show Dogs would be?

*sigh* Ah, forget it! I bet people would come if the MAYANS endorsed it. People will believe anything those ancient Oprahs say.

**Important to Note: I use Mayans referring to the Maya civilization of southern Mexico and Northern Central America, not in reference to fan groups and die-hard groupies of notorious author, Maya Angelou.

No comments:

Post a Comment